In the middle 1970′s, Allan Robert Miller and his son, Allan Raymond, began actively collecting toy trains. Their interests began with Lionel Trains, mostly of the postwar and then-current MPC varieties. By the early 1980′s the collection had expanded to include both prewar trains and the trains manufactured by Louis Marx and Company.
Their interests continued to grow to include toys, both by Marx and by others, classic 1950′s playsets, dolls and dollhouses, and other items, and the two began seriously considering founding a museum to house their many finds. As the collection grew, so did their knowledge of trains and toys. The younger Miller has done work on numerous collector’s price guides for Greenberg Publishing and Kalmbach Publishing, and has written articles for several nationally circulated collector’s magazines. Both father and son have set up informational exhibits and spoken to local groups on the topics of toys and trains.
It became apparent that the dream would someday become a reality, so the search for an appropriate building began. Many sites were considered before they settled on the property at 144 Kruger Street in the Elm Grove section of Wheeling, West Virginia. The building, a Victorian era school built in 1906, provides an excellent historical location to house the many classic toys from their collections, as well as from other collections from around the world. The museum has ample parking, and is easily reached by anyone traveling in or through the Wheeling area.
On August 27, 1998, the facility was dedicated and opened for the first time for local media. Doors opened to the general public on September 1, 1998. Come visit the Kruger Street Toy & Train Museum. Take a step into your past, relive those fond memories of childhood, and visit a lifetime dream realized!